Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Karen Read Takes Complex Turn with Planned Countersuits

23-09-2025


Karen Read's attorneys appeared in Plymouth County Superior Court on Monday seeking to dismiss emotional distress claims in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of her former boyfriend, Boston police officer John O'Keefe. The hearing before Judge Daniel O'Shea marked the latest development in the civil proceedings stemming from O'Keefe's 2022 death, which previously resulted in Read's acquittal on murder charges after two highly publicized criminal trials.

Read's legal team, including attorney Damon Seligson, argued that O'Keefe's parents, brother, and niece lack standing to pursue emotional distress damages because they didn't witness O'Keefe's death or see his body until after he had been declared dead at the hospital. "None of the alleged plaintiffs observed the alleged incident that is described in the complaint," Seligson stated in court. "They were not witnesses to the event—they came upon him many hours later."

In a significant development, Read's attorneys revealed plans to file countersuits against multiple parties, including Massachusetts State Police, several individuals who testified against her during the criminal trials, and the Town of Canton and Canton Police Department. The planned defendants include Detective Lt. Brian Tully, Sgt. Yuri Bukhenik, former Trooper Michael Proctor, and others, potentially complicating what legal analysts describe as already complex proceedings.

The O'Keefe family's lawyers maintain that Read caused emotional distress by allegedly fabricating a "conspiracy" narrative about the events leading to O'Keefe's death and launching what they characterize as a "public campaign of disinformation." Attorney Marc Diller, representing the family, told the court that "these are real damages for real people who have suffered long enough." The hearing specifically addressed emotional distress claims while leaving the core wrongful death claim intact, setting the stage for potentially lengthy civil litigation as both sides prepare for additional legal actions.

Other news

Kilcoo Claims Historic Seventh Straight Down SFC Title

2025-10-20 11:48:06.133000


Kilcoo secured their place in Down football history on Sunday, capturing an unprecedented seventh consecutive Senior Football Championship title with a 1-17 to 1-11 victory over Carryduff at Pairc Esler. The Magpies delivered their strongest performance of the championship when it mattered most, with Paul Devlin's first-half penalty goal providing crucial separation in a hard-fought contest that saw the throw-in time pushed back to 5pm following a pitch inspection.

The match, originally scheduled for 3:30pm, saw Kilcoo demonstrate the championship experience that has defined their remarkable 12-title run over 13 seasons. Devlin's 22nd-minute penalty strike down the middle proved decisive, with the player explaining his calculated approach: "It was a big moment in the game and it needed to go in, so I didn't want to put it in the corner and the keeper has a chance if diving. I just thought I wanted to hit it hard."

Carryduff, making their first final appearance since losing to Kilcoo in the 2020 decider, mounted a second-half rally but ultimately fell short of claiming what would have been their inaugural Frank O'Hare Cup. The South Belfast club had powered past Burren in the semi-final with their full contingent available, but couldn't overcome Kilcoo's championship pedigree despite showing improved form from their previous final appearance five years earlier.

Devlin expressed satisfaction with the victory amid external skepticism, noting "it's nice to see that people want Kilcoo to fall" while emphasizing the team's resilience. "This one is sweet with how the game played out and the build-up where we were doubted in this year's championship," he told BBC Sport NI. "It just shows the character of this team. Big teams play well in big games and we have that experience to put in those big performances." The win solidifies Kilcoo's status as the dominant force in Down football, achieving a landmark that had eluded them when Burren denied their seventh consecutive title bid in 2018.